Mrs. Hoffman: Class Notes
Online Computer Applications Course (1st Semester--begins September 4, 2014)
Instructor: Mrs. Hoffman
If you desire more info. or want to take this course, please email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by August 29, 2014. A required meeting for parents and students will take place at open house on September 2, 2014 at 6 p.m.
Computer applications is a semester long (2 quarters) course open to students in grades 9-12. The course is a hands-on opportunity for students to learn and explore some of the modern computer software productivity tools used by business and academia. During this course students will become familiar with the manipulation of data through the use word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation graphics software applications. In addition, students will learn to organize, collaborate and share information and documents in a “cloud” environment. By using this information in a variety of ways, the student will become acquainted with the interrelationships between and among information, software programs, business/academic activities and systems.
Students will be able to…
● Learn to use and manipulate features of word processing, spreadsheet, and presentation graphics software applications.
● Learn to format various word processed business documents including memos, business letters, multiple page documents, tables, a cover letter and resume.
● Learn to use various formatting tools for each software application.
● Learn to create and format spreadsheets for use in tracking numerical/financial data and creating charts to display this information. Incorporate and use various functions and formulas.
● Learn to create an effective, professional presentation utilizing the various features of the software application and incorporating strategies and techniques necessary in making the presentation effective and eye-pleasing.
Platform and Evaluation:
● Utilize Edmodo and Google Drive applications to interact with instructor, get assignments and due dates, watch lesson demonstrations, participate in on-line discussions, submit assignments, and see grades and evaluations of assignments.
● Complete various assignments to demonstrate knowledge and mastery of concepts being taught.
● Complete real-world application projects utilizing concepts learned.
● Participate in virtual class discussions.
● Work ethic and attitude.
● Quality of document preparation and timely submission of assignments.
● Final Projects for each unit.
Requirements for course participation:
● Computer with Internet Access (each student)
● Google account
● Edmodo account log in (teacher will issue)
● Physically meet with instructor in a group environment 3-4x during the semester--dates will be announced well in advance and attendance is required. Meetings will be at The King’s School.
● Parent/Guardian must attend an introductory meeting (during open house for the fall semester and during January PTF for spring semester) and give permission for their son/daughter to participate in this course. The course is appropriate for all levels. Class size is limited to 10 students per semester. Questions? Email Mrs. Hoffman at email@example.com.