Elem Theatre: Class Notes
Why teach Theater? Dramatic Arts education is an important means of stimulating CREATIVITY IN PROBLEM SOLVING. It can CHALLENGE STUDENTS PERCEPTIONS about their world and about themselves.
* Dramatic exploration can provide students with an outlet for emotions, thoughts, and dreams that they might not otherwise have means to express.
* A student can, if only for a few moments BECOME ANOTHER, explore a new role, try out and experiment with various personal choices and solutions to very real problems- problems from their own life, or problems faced by characters in literature or historical figures. This can happen in a safe atmosphere, where actions and consequences can be examined, discussed, and in a very real sense EXPERIENCED.
* Participation in Dramatic activity requires SELF CONTROL and DISCIPLINE that will serve the student well in all aspects of life. Students will WORK TOGETHER to, to cooperate, to find the best way for each member of the group to contribute, and to listen to and accept the viewpoints and contributions of others.NO ART FORM IS MORE TRULY COLLABORATIVE.
* Drama is an important tool for preparing students to live and work in a world that is increasingly TEAM ORIENTED. Students who have participated in Dramatic activities are less likely to have difficulty SPEAKING IN PUBLIC, will be more POSITIVE, and have a CONFIDENT SELF IMAGE.
* THEATER CLASS - A MANDATORY CLASS FOR ALL ELEMENTARY STUDENTS. THOSE WHO WISH MAY PARTICIPATE IN THE CREATION OF SKITS FOR PERFORMANCE DURING FRIDAY MORNING CELBRATIONS.